Rhinoplasty surgery can make permanent changes to your nose function to improve breathing and at the same time make aesthetic changes to boost your confidence. However, you should carefully consider these six points when researching your rhinoplasty procedure.
1. Adjust you expectations. One of the most common complaints from people who have undergone Rhinoplasty is they had a different expectation on what the results would be. It is important to note that while a Rhinoplasty can alter your appearance, your surgeon is limited by your nose’s own anatomical structure. Therefore you must adjust your expectations to what is realistic for you.
2. There are two methods of Rhinoplasty that you must discuss with your surgeon. The first is often referred to as Open nose job procedure. This method places the initial incision on the outside fully revealing the internal structure of the nose. The second method is referred to as a closed nose job. Conversely this method places the incision on the inside of the nostrils. Less time consuming and with less risk of complications, the closed procedure is often the method of many prefer. However, if you are undergoing Rhinoplasty to reconstruct or repair a deformity, the open technique is ideal.
3. Be sure to choose your surgeon with the greatest of care. It is important to check their references, qualifications, record, and before and after photos. This will provide you with the ability to make an informed decision.
4. Make sure that you have a proper consultation from the surgeon prior to the day of the procedure. Any qualified surgeon should be able to walk you through the procedure, discuss the risks of surgery and help you manage your expectations. Most surgeon use 3D imaging software to illustrate what they will be doing, giving you a pretty good idea of what to expect.
5. Unless the procedure is to fix health related problems, insurance will not cover this procedure, so it is vital you understand the costs beforehand. Depending on the level of expertise the surgeon has, and the level of difficulty of the procedure Rhinoplasty can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000.
6. Be prepared for the recovery period. Depending on the level of complications recovery from a Rhinoplasty can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months. Be sure to discuss the rules for recovery with your surgeon ahead of time to come up with a plan.