Women (and men, too!) come to Raval Facial Aesthetics for one reason: we all want to look our best. Since we are all different, “best” can mean a lot of things, but we know improvement when we see it. We feel more confident. However, it usually takes multiple appointments to achieve those optimal results you want, as well as periodic future maintenance.
Not surprisingly, our patients ask why? So let’s talk about that.
Your skin is a living organism
Did you know that skin is your body’s largest organ? Yep. It’s constantly working on your behalf -- constantly renewing itself in the process. But you have to help.
You don’t just wash your face once and never do it again. You don’t apply moisturizer or hand lotion or lip balm just once and never do it again. Why not? Because, day in and day out, as you go about living your life, your face gets dirty and your skin gets dry. Regular replenishment is the only way to combat that, to keep yourself healthy and comfortable.
Another analogy: exercise. You can go for a run or go to the gym once and feel energized. Your blood is flowing, your brain is active, you feel great (and proud of yourself for making the effort, too). But you can’t expect to achieve the cardio strength or muscle tone you want unless you continue to exercise. You work to reach your desired level, then cut back to a maintenance regimen.
Genetics, aging and other factors cause all sorts of skin imperfections. If they are severe, there are invasive surgical remedies such as facelift or neck lift, and some harsh non-surgical remedies such as dermabrasion or certain types of chemical peels. These can produce dramatic results, but they are painful, time-consuming, and costly.
Most of today’s patients don’t want “OMG!” dramatic change. They want more subtle improvement and/or prevention that looks entirely natural. Medical researchers and device manufacturers have responded with a panoply of treatment and procedure options that are only minimally invasive. None of them are a one-time cure.
Time marches on
We can turn back the clock to some extent, but we cannot keep it from ticking. Even the results of surgery and the harshest peels eventually fade because we all, inevitably, get older. Without ongoing maintenance, changes to our skin will become increasingly noticeable.
That simple fact affects every type of treatment:
- Two of our most popular procedures here at Raval Facial Aesthetics are IPL (intense pulsed laser) and microneedling. Most minimally-invasive treatments produce some visible improvement after just one session, but they are deliberately designed to provide less intense, gradual results. This is great, because it allows us to precisely tailor the procedure for each patient. But it takes more than one session to achieve the desired goal. How many depends on the type of imperfection(s) you want to address, the severity, and the traits of your own skin.
For microneedling, we offer treatments in series of 3, so most patients will get either 3 or 6 initial monthly treatments. If treatments are done in series, you will have have increased results that continue to produce collagen at a rapid rate.
For IPL, we offer treatments singularly as well as in a series of 3, but we always recommend a series in order to achieve optimal results. IPL targets vascularity and hyperpigmentation in the skin. The series includes 20% off of a Raval Night Cream with retin A and hydroquinone, which pretreats the skin for an overall better and safer result.
- We all know that Botox and dermal filler injections are temporary when we get them, so they are automatically considered “ongoing.” Whether your injection lasts a few months or a couple of years, the product will eventually be absorbed by your body and you’ll need to either get a renewal injection or let results “resolve” to your older look.
- When it comes to other skin rejuvenation procedures, we usually recommend monthly appointments for microdermabrasion and chemical peels, and 3-5 initial treatments for laser treatments. Laser hair removal, may require as many as 8 treatments to reduce the amount of hair, so we recommend scheduling the first 5 treatments 4 to 6 weeks apart, then spacing the maintenance treatments around 6 to 8 weeks apart. We want the hair in the most active stage so that the laser can attract the hair in the follicle.
- MedSpa facials that we offer – peels, etc. -- are more intense, so it’s easy to think of them as a one-and-done procedure. But the truth is that’s not quite accurate.
- Even something as simple as a spa facial, while certainly a refreshing pick-me-up, is not a one-time cure for dull and lifeless looking skin.
So, maintenance is a must
Surgery is permanent – sort of. But with non-invasive and minimally-invasive alternatives, the therapeutic value is not permanent. Results may last a few months, or they may last several years, but maintenance is necessary to retain the smoother, younger, or more vibrant look you originally achieved.